Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Book Review: Ever

Tuesday, April 02, 2013




Title: Ever (Ever #1)
Author: Jessa Russo
Genre/s: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance

Synopsis:

Seventeen-year-old Ever’s love life has been on hold for the past two years. She’s secretly in love with her best friend Frankie, and he’s completely oblivious.

Of course, it doesn't help that he’s dead, and waking up to his ghost every day has made moving on nearly impossible.

Frustrated and desperate for something real, Ever finds herself falling for her hot new neighbor Toby. His relaxed confidence is irresistible, and not just Ever knows it. But falling for Toby comes with a price that throws Ever’s life into a whirlwind of chaos and drama. More than hearts are on the line, and more than Ever will suffer.

Some girls lose their hearts to love.

Some girls lose their minds.

Ever Van Ruysdael could lose her soul.

My Thoughts:


Ever by Jessa Russo was an interesting read. It takes us to a whole new part of  the world that is inhabited by humans, ghosts, and soul collectors and where love and deceit is almost parallel.

I really don't like Ever in the first few chapters because I feel like she's having a pity party and the way Jessie and Frankie treated her gave me the impression that she was so fragile. I mean, I can relate a bit to her character and the secretly-loving-your-best-friend part but the not-moving-on-after-two-years-and-was-still-crushing-on-your-dead-best-friend was something I don't really understand. Fortunately, she redeemed herself by staying strong in handling the problems that arise(well, sort of) and for not freaking out(too much).

Frankie, on the other hand, was cool. He was sweet, caring and has a great sense of humor. I'm picturing him as the teenage and heartthrob version of Casper. And that says a lot, because I loved Casper, the friendly ghost, ever since forever. The only thing that bothered me about him was the way he called Ever as Doll or Dollface. I don't know if it was a nickname or some kind of endearment to him but it doesn't sound right when I'm picturing him saying it. But that's just me.  

Anyway, let's proceed to the mysterious, Tobias a.k.a Toby. Well, first of all, I love his name because it reminded me of my hubby whose famously known as Four in the Divergent series. (Shhh! Don't tell him. It's so secret even he doesn't know it yet. LOL) Anyway, this Toby is not as badass as my hubby but they both love to wear black and were both secretive.

The supporting characters were okay but the villainess was really unbearable. Ariadne, was not just annoying, she's desperate, clingy, and borderline crazy. Jessa did a great job creating Ariadne's character because I'm seething with fury.

Overall, this book was a nice read. The beginning of the plot was a bit cliche, the middle was interesting and the ending was a surprise. So, if you like paranormal romance, why don't you give this book a try. 



My Rating

Books for YA! © 2015