Friday, July 12, 2013

Book Review: Fang Girl

Friday, July 12, 2013
Title: Fang Girl
Author: Helen Keeble
Genre/s: Young Adult, Paranormal Comedy, Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:

Things That Are Destroying Jane Greene’s Undead Social Life Before It Can Even Begin:

1) A twelve-year-old brother who’s convinced she’s a zombie.
2) Parents who are begging her to turn them into vampires.
3) The pet goldfish she accidentally turns instead.
4) Weird superpowers that let her rip the heads off of every other vampire she meets.(Sounds cool, but it doesn’t win you many friends.)
5) A psychotic vampire creator who’s using her to carry out a plan for world domination.

And finally:
6) A seriously ripped vampire hunter who either wants to stake her or make out with her. Not sure which.

Being an undead, eternally pasty fifteen-year-old isn’t quite the sexy, brooding, angst-fest Jane always imagined....

Helen Keeble’s riotous debut novel combines the humor of Vladimir Tod with Ally Carter’s spot-on teen voice. With a one-of-a-kind vampire mythology and an irresistibly relatable undead heroine, this uproarious page-turner will leave readers bloodthirsty for more.
My Thoughts:


Fang Girl by Helen Keeble is a paranormal comedy, packed full of fight scenes and a roller coaster twist and turns. A fast-paced and highly entertaining read that will satisfy your vampire cravings.

Xanthe Jane Greene, a vampire fanatic, woke up one night just to discover that she was an actual living vampire (well, not technically living) and was inside a coffin. The reason behind her transformation was still a mystery and the last memory she has was her car accident. She doesn't know what to do as a newborn vampire so she did what every other 15 year old teenage vampire would do: she called her parents.

Okay, this book right here is the funniest paranormal comedy that I've ever read so far and I'm going to say that this is the best in this genre until other books proved me wrong. Anyway, you wouldn't know how much fun I had while reading this book. It’s insane how Jane and I instantly clicked. Her voice throughout the story was light and relatable and I can’t help not to love her.

“Coughing and spitting, I struggled out of my grave. I did not immediately catch fire, turn to dust, or have an acrobatic blonde Buffy-wannabe put a stake through my chest. So far, my first day – night – of my unlife was off to a good start.”

Her family was also awesomely weird. Her younger brother, Zack was the most adorable steampunk fanatic that I’ve ever encountered. Nothing can fazes him, not even the news that his sister become a blood-sucking vampire. Jane’s parents were also lovable and they were really accepting over Jane’s condition (well, not immediately but still). They researched a lot of folklore about vampires to help Jane with her current state and came up with a lot of ridiculous ones. They super love Jane to the point that they even proposed that they should be turned into vampires as well so that she will never be alone.

“You can drink my blood if you want,” Zack chimed in. “I’ll even let you bite me.”
“No biting,” Mum said. “It wouldn’t be sanitary.”
“What do you think I’ve got, rabies?” I said to her with indignation then turned to Zack. “And, no!”

There were a few memorable characters here that I also wanted you to meet like Van Helsing(yeah, that’s really his name), Sarah, Ebon, and Brains, the vampire goldfish. Other than the uber awesome characters, this book also have a lot of kick-ass fight scenes, a lot of impulsive-compulsive vampires and a really complex twist and turn.

Overall, this was an amazing read. If you love vampires and laugh-out-loud comedy from beginning to end then you should definitely read this. I highly recommend this to paranormal lovers out there.



My Rating

Books for YA! © 2015