Thursday, September 19, 2013

Author's Slambook: Sara Polsky, author of This is How I Find Her

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Author Bio:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Sara Polsky’s debut YA novel, This Is How I Find Her, will be published by Albert Whitman in fall 2013. Her fiction has appeared in Fictitious Forceand Behind the Wainscot. She is represented by Suzie Townsend.

Sara is a writer and editor at Curbed NY, and her articles and essays have appeared in The Christian Science Monitor, The Forward, Poets & Writers, and other publications. She lives in New York City.

Favorites
1. What is your favorite color? Blue or green.
2. Favorite food? Biscuits
3. Favorite movie of all time? It's hard to pick just one, but a few of my favorites are The Wizard of Oz, Apollo 13, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Field of Dreams.
4. Favorite song? At the moment, it's "1988," by Lauren O'Connell
5. Favorite book of all time? Pride and Prejudice
All about Writing
1. How did your interest in writing originated?
It's honestly something I've always done.

2. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I try to write 500 words a day, and I usually write in the evening.

3. Do you work with outline or just write?
I start off just writing, but I usually need to stop and outline somewhere around the middle of the book.

4. What was the hardest part in writing your book? The easiest?
The easiest was knowing my main character -- she was there from the beginning. The hardest was probably getting the secondary characters right. That took a lot longer.

5. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Spend time with friends and family, read, bake.
Finish the sentence
1. The difference between fiction and reality is story.
2. Research is what I'm doing when I read anything.
3. I can write better when I stop thinking about how much I'm writing.
4. Sleep is an excellent way to recharge.
5. A room without a book is missing something.

Books

Title: This Is How I Find Her
Genre/s: Young Adult, Contemporary Fiction
Publisher: Albert Whitman
Date Released: September 1, 2013

Synopsis:

Sophie Canon has just started her junior year when her mother tries to kill herself. Sophie has always lived her life in the shadow of her mother's bipolar disorder, monitoring her medication, rushing home after school to check on her instead of spending time with friends, and keeping her mother's diagnosis secret from everyone outside their family. But when the overdose lands Sophie's mother in the hospital, Sophie no longer has to watch over her. She moves in with her aunt, uncle, and cousin, from whom she has been estranged for the past five years. Rolling her suitcase across town to her family's house is easy. What's harder is figuring out how to build her own life.
Books for YA! © 2015