Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Author's Slambook: Steve Whibley, author of Dean Curse Chronicles

Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Author Bio
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Steve believes in pixies and fairy dust, and the healing power of unicorns. When he's not writing epic tales of horned beasties, he's working as a look-a-like for Brad Pitt, Ryan Reynolds, Zac Efron, and Seal. He spends his free time training hairless mole rats to be service animals for the colorblind, and dreams of one day inventing a thanksgiving dish that will rival the infamous turducken.

Steve also believes most readers do not read author biographies.

To learn more about Steve Whibley, please visit www.stevenwhibley.com
Favorites
1. What is your favorite color? Blue, but I say that with the caveat that I'm colorblind.
2. Favorite food? Vietnamese spring rolls with peanut sauce.
3. Favorite movie of all time? The Matrix.
4. Favorite song? My favorites change from time to time, but I will say that Greenday, One Republic, and Cold Play are my favorite bands. If I had to pick one song I’d say Cold Play’s Viva la Vida.
5. Favorite book of all time? This is another tough one, I have a number of books I’d call my favorites. But if I had to choose just one, I’d pick THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO by Alexandre Dumas. It’s a revenge story unlike anything I’ve ever read.

All about Writing
1. How did your interest in writing originate?
I don’t sleep a lot, and one very early morning I decided to try to write something. It was awful; suitable only as an interrogation tool for the very worst criminals, but it sparked something inside me, and I was hooked. It was a few manuscripts later that I wrote something that got any attention.

2. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I write early, early, early in the morning. It’s usually four hours or so before anyone else wakes up, and it’s a time of the day that I can be very productive.

3. Do you work with outline or just write?
I outline, but I give myself permission to deviate. But when I deviate, I adjust my outline. I always know where the end is, and how my character is going to get there.

4. What was the hardest part in writing your book? The easiest?
The hardest part of writing any book is pushing through those moments when you don’t feel like writing. It can be exhausting to write a book, and that’s not something non-writers understand. The easiest part is coming up with plots. Every writer I know has hundreds of book ideas just waiting to be written.

5. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Read. I love getting lost in a good book. I also love playing with my son, and when the opportunity comes up, I love to travel.

Finish the sentence
1. The difference between fiction and reality is very small. To quote Shakespeare: There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than can be dreamt…”
2. Research is what I'm doing when I’m awake. Writers are often called thieves since they watch people, and capture moments to use in their work.
3. I can write better when the world is silent.
4. Sleep is an excellent way to… wait, sleep? What’s that?
5. A room without a book is a crime against all humanity... um, was that too dramatic? How about I go philosophical and say a room without a book isn’t a room at all.

Books

Title: Glimpse (The Dean Curse Chronicles #1)
Genre/s: MG/YA, Fantasy
Publisher: Self- Published
Date Published: April 11, 2013
Add to Goodreads TBR List
Buy: Amazon | Barnes&Noble | Book Depo

Synopsis:

"Save them, Dean. Save them all...."

Dean Curse avoids attention the way his best friend Colin avoids common sense. Which is why he isn’t happy about being Abbotsford’s latest local hero – having saved the life of a stranger, he is now front page news. Dean’s reason for avoiding the limelight? Ever since his heroic act, he’s been having terrifying visions of people dying and they’re freaking him out so badly his psychologist father just might have him committed. Dean wants nothing more than to lay low and let life get back to normal.

​But when Dean’s visions start to come true, and people really start dying, he has to race against the clock – literally – to figure out what’s happening. Is this power of premonition a curse? Or is Dean gifted with the ability to save people from horrible fates? The answer will be the difference between life and death.​

Title: Relic (The Dean Curse Chronicles #2)
Genre/s: MG/YA, Fantasy
Publisher: Self- Published
Date Published: July 2013
Add to Goodreads TBR List
Buy: Amazon | Barnes&Noble | Book Depo

Synopsis:

Fourteen-year-old Dean Curse is still having horrifying visions of the soon-to-be-dead. But after saving his sister, he sees it for the gift the mysterious society intended it to be.

So far, Dean’s ability has cost him a few broken bones and a standing appointment at group therapy. But those are small sacrifices compared to the lives he’s saved. But now, Dean—and his best friends, Colin and Lisa—are forced to make hard decisions that could get them in serious trouble with the law. They have less than twenty-four hours to decide if a few wrongs really can make a right.
Books for YA! © 2015